This is my advice to people: Learn how to cook, try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun.
– Julia Child
Class format: typically two hours followed by a meal. View photos.
You will learn:
– About Indian spices; including how to use them and where to buy them in Montreal
– Key cooking techniques like frying spices
– Begin to understand how to create balanced, vegetarian, Indian meals using vegetables, lentils, beans, nuts and other ingredients
(Courses include starters, salads, mains and one-dish meals, chutneys, desserts)
– About regional variety. I include dishes from different parts of India. Indian restaurants in Montreal/Canada largely serve dishes from just one or two Indian states
– About the flexibility & adaptability of Indian cuisine:
* Cooking oil is often used in moderation in Indian homes
*It’s possible to individualize recipes (push up the spice heat or tone it down) and substitute ingredients without losing flavour; oh joy!
*You can cook large portions and refrigerate dishes (some freeze well too); curries actually improve overnight
You will also get detailed recipes and where to buy Indian ingredients.
On offer: a single class or an introductory course consisting of 4-5 classes.
Single class: you’ll wet your tongue, learn some basics and enjoy a meal you cooked
Introductory course: you’ll be able to start incorporating Indian food and spices into your lifestyle. (We can talk about mixing and matching Indian dishes with whatever you usually cook.)
Private classes: can’t make a scheduled course, already cooking Indian, want to learn something specific, etc.
Special diet courses — gluten-free or vegan (There are many gluten-free and vegan dishes in Indian cuisine. The regular classes also feature many gluten-free and vegan recipes.)
Cook with family and friends Check out these options.
Pricing: Small group classes I teach are typically $45-50 (tax included), including a meal. Otherwise pricing depends on the venue where I teach.
Pre-registration and pre-payment required. I also need to know about food allergies and intolerances at the time of registration.